Temperatures have been quite mad of late and coupled with internal body heatiness and less than healthy lifestyles, it’s easy to get under the weather for both adults and kids.
We did a simple homemade green bean soup that’s suitable for little ones too. For kids below one, you may serve them just the soup or even with beans. Just like other new foods, consider taking the 3day rule into consideration when trying it out.
According to Traditional Chinese Medicine (TCM), “Green bean, also known as mung bean, contains several kinds of vitamins (C, K, A, B6, B2, B1, and B3), molybdenum, magnesium, potassium, iron, phosphorus, copper, and other elements. As such in addition to its nutrient values, green bean also has medical values in Chinese medicine.”
It’s a simple, yummy treat for the family. Do try it too!
Homemade Green Bean Soup
~Serves: 2 adults and 1 baby
Half a bowl of green beans – washed and set aside
10 pandan leaves – washed, trimmed and knotted
Some rock sugar – optional
Half a pot of water
1) Boil water over stove then add green beans together with pandan leaves into pot. Bring to low fire and let it cook for at least one hour, or until green beans are super soft and slightly mushy.
2) Add rock sugar if preferred and stir to mix. Turn off fire and serve in bowl as dessert or in cup as drink. Be extra careful when offering the little ones! Enjoy!
– The water level will reduce and this is completely normal. Do not attempt to top up as that would result in a very diluted soup/drink.
– Rock sugar is optional, so you may wish to add brown sugar instead just for adults. For kids, pour out a desired amount of unsweetened soup before adding any sugar for adults.
– Sago are favourite companions to go with green beans. Add them for a different texture in your dessert!
– Do keep in mind that everything should be in moderation. If you or your child experience severe heatiness e.g. symptoms of nose bleed, persistent cough etc, do consult a doctor for medication.
Hope you enjoyed this simple dessert/drink to help bring down heatiness. What are some of your fave foods to help beat heatiness? Do share with us too!