Super Cheesy Double Flavoured Baked Rice
If you love cheese, you’re gonna love this!
It’s a long overdued article but here it is – fresh out of the oven, brimming with cheesy goodness on a bed of double flavoured rice with 2 different tastes to tease the palates – Japanese Curry and Cream Sauce!
We had an Easy Baked Pasta recipe sometime ago, so here’s one for baked rice loaded with fresh ingredients! Enjoy, cheese fans!!
Super Cheesy Double Flavoured Baked Rice (Serves 3A + 1C)
1.5 cups Rice, wash and cook
Shredded cheese – we used Cheddar and Mozzarella
For the curry rice
1 Potato, boil and cut into cubes
1/2 stick of Carrot, boil and cut into cubes
1 bulb Onion, chopped
Pre-marinated meatballs (We tried store-bought ones from Cold Storage and found them too salty. If you’re feeding babies/young children, I would recommend using homemade meatballs, and they’re really easy.. recipe here!)
2 sticks of Golden Curry Sauce Mix (Mild flavour), add water to the mixture according to packaging (We bought it from Cold Storage)
For the cream rice
1 packet Baby Asparagus
3 large Portobello Mushrooms
2 tsp Minced garlic
1/3 portion of Prego’s Triple Cheese Cream Sauce (Some recipes use Campbell’s soup too, but we preferred pasta sauce since it can be kept to create pasta dishes.)
1. Pour olive oil onto heated pan, and pan fry onions till lightly brown. Add carrots, potatoes, rice, meatballs and add curry sauce to mix evenly. Ensure rice and curry sauce is mixed well for nice, flavourful grains. Set aside in baking tray.
2. Pour olive oil onto heated pan, and pan fry garlic lightly, making sure they don’t turn brown. Add mushrooms and asparagus to cook. Then add meatballs, rice and cream sauce to mix evenly. Ensure rice and cream sauce is mixed well for nice, flavourful grains. Set aside in baking dish.
3. Go crazy with the cheese! Finish off the top layer with cheeseeeeeeee, fully covering the surface. Bake in preheated oven at 220 degrees for 30 minutes, or until cheese is nicely browned. Get ready to serve, but be super careful as baking dish would be extremely hot! Enjoy!
So, how did our 2.5yo cheese lover think about the new dish?
This girl was happily enjoying her dinner, and kept going “mmmm…”, “nice…” like some food connoisseur :P
It’s not her first time trying curry per se, and we don’t really offer instant stuff to her, so this was technically her first dips with instant curry mix. She liked it and it wasn’t spicy at all. Then again, we discovered that she loves chilli sauce! Looks like she’s taking after her Mamak and Daddy!
- Busy parents who need a wholesome and hearty one-dish meal? This is IT! It’s also superbly versatile (just like most of my other recipes hehehe) and you can simply add your preferred ingredients to customise according to your family’s likes and dislikes.
- Do note though that instant sauces such as the curry mix and bottle pasta sauce have sodium and seasonings in them. If you are particular about this or are planning to feed kids under 1, you may like to replace the sauces with homemade ones. We’ve done a simple homemade tomato paste, if you’re looking to do one on your own.
Hope you enjoy this simple yummy Baked Rice dish with all those cheesy goodness! Have a cheesy good meal! :)
Are you a cheese lover too? What are your favourite ingredients in a baked rice recipe? Do share with us!