When I heard that I was about to learn how to do an eggless carbonara pasta, my excitement could not be contained! Best thing is, this recipe only needs simple and easily available ingredients!
I love pasta, and Carbonara is definitely one of my favourite creamy choices, but those bottled ones are anything but close. Making creamy Carbonara sauce from scratch seems tricky and full of uncertainties, so I haven’t dared to try until now. Hubs and his colleagues attended a cooking workshop at Cookyn Inc. previously as part of their team bonding activity and he attempted to recreate that rich dish at home. However, the amount of cream that went into it sort of puts me off. TOO MUCH CREAMMM!
While most Carbonara recipes involve eggs to create that rich, creamy goodness, this recipe doesn’t. Super thankful to A’s hub, L, who imparted what he picked up from an Italiano colleague back in the UK! So while both of them were here recently, baby bump and I (as well as Vera and hubs!) had the privilege to savour yummy pasta, and picked up this super easy egg-less carbonara recipe!
*Edit: After popping Leroy, we learned that he was allergic to eggs before he turned 1 year old. *sigh* So thank goodness I’ve chronicled this egg-free Carbonara recipe on my family blogazine, because my boy loves pasta! Now he can enjoy this no-egg version of Carbonara at home! :D
Here’s sharing what you will need to prepare and how it can be easily created! Enjoy!
Super Easy Eggless Carbonara Recipe
(Serves 4-6 adults)
Pasta – we used linguine but you can use any pasta you like
1kg bacon strips, sliced – fresh, frozen or cooked ones
1-2 big onion, chopped
2-3 tbsp chopped garlic
1/2 slab of butter
A block of cheddar cheese, grated – we used Mature Cheddar which A brought over from the UK, but regular Cheddar can be used instead
2 tbsp plain flour
A dash of pepper and salt (optional)
- Heat up the wok and pour olive oil to warm up. Put chopped garlic, chopped onion and bacon into the pan and fry to desired doneness. Alternatively, you may like to grill them in the oven too.
- In a separate saucepan, cook pasta in a pot of water.
- Using a separate saucepan, turn on medium flame and melt butter. Once the butter has completely melted, pour 3/4 box of fresh milk into a saucepan and stir to mix.
- When thoroughly mixed, the sauce would be cream coloured. Add plain flour and mix till dissolved. Add grated cheese into a saucepan, and adjust the amount to achieve the desired consistency for sauce and taste. If it’s too salty, add more fresh milk. If it’s on the bland side, add more cheese. DO NOT ADD WATER as that would dilute the cream sauce.
- Check on bacon to see if they are at the desired doneness. Once ready, add the bacon into the cream sauce and stir to mix evenly. This step is optional is you prefer the eggless cream sauce and bacon to be separate.
- Serve fresh and hot – bon appétit!
The pictures don’t do justice to the carbonara pasta! But the taste was yum – definitely comparable to those at cafes and it’s unbelievably easy to make! We had a yummy Roasted Beer Spa Stuffed Chicken to go along and this was one of the best meals I’ve had in the comfort of our home! :)
Tips for cooking eggless Carbonara recipe for babies and toddlers:
- This simple egg-free carbonara pasta dish is suitable for children including toddlers. If you are worried about the sodium level, simply scoop out the sauce with less cheese, or pour sauce (before adding cheese) into another saucepan. You may like to add your preferred baby-friendly cheese such as Bega Block Cheese or Babybel Full Fat Cheese (red packaging) too.
- This dish is very versatile too, so instead of bacon (which has high sodium and not too suitable for babies and young tots), you can easily replace with mushrooms, asparagus, broccoli, or chicken. It’s entirely up to you!
- For those with serious egg allergies and want to avoid eggs completely, do check the ingredient list on your store-bought pasta. Look out for “no eggs” claims on the packaging before buying.
Do you have to put eggs in Carbonara? Is it possible to make Carbonara without using eggs? I guess the answer is YES! We have cooked this several times over the years! :)
If you’re looking for baby-friendly recipes for your bubs with egg allergies, try this easy eggless pancakes recipe which has just 2 ingredients!
We hope you enjoy making this super easy eggless Carbonara recipe, just as we did!