Pregnancy Tonics: 6 Herbs Nourish Soup
As part of my pregnancy journey with B2, I’ve gotten quite a few wake-up calls pertaining to my health. With a toddler plus a bun baking in the oven, things are rather different as we get older.
Time to replenish those energy and nourish my health and immunity. We did a super easy soup using just black chicken and Essence of Chicken previously, and that was pretty yummy.
This time round, we’re slurping up the 6 Herbs Nourish Soup (S$5.40), available from Hock Hua Tonics. We are clueless when it comes to TCM and herbs so after asking the staff there on what’s suitable for pregnant mums, she recommended these three types. I’ve tried one of them so far (the green pack), and here’s sharing the pregnancy tonics soup recipe!
Meat – either chicken or pork ribs, and we’ve tried both to see if there’s any difference in taste.
Water – Half pot
Prepacked herbs – contains Lotus Seed with Skin (Lian Zi, 莲子), Euryale Seeds (Qian Shi 芡实), Chinese Yam (Huai Shan, 淮山), Polygonatum (Yu Zhu, 玉竹), Lily Bulb (Bai He, 百 合), Dried Longan ( Yuan Rou, 圓肉/Long Yan Rou, 龍眼肉)
- Blanch the meat. Drain the water and set aside.
- Rinse herbs (1 box can be used all at once for 3-4 pax, but since I was cooking for one, the ingredients were halved), put into 1.5-2litres of water. Heat over high flame to a boil.
- Add the meat, reduce heat to low fire and simmer for two hours. Season and ready to serve.
So the first time round, I cooked it over the stove in a pot using black chicken.
And the second time, pork ribs were used instead.
Taste verdict: Pork ribs version tasted much better!
Benefits of this pregnancy tonics soup:
Supports digestive system, nourishing and rejuvenating benefits.
- To be careful with the flame as high heat causes the water to dry up really quickly.
- Use single ring flame if cooking over stove or alternatively, use slow cooker to simmer for two-three hours.
- Enjoy the meat with some cut chilli and soy sauce, and serve with rice and veggies for a complete meal.
- If you are unsure, always check with your doctor before consuming herbs during pregnancy.
Bowls up to better health, fellow mamas! What pregnancy tonics soups do/did you take during pregnancy?