Panax Ginseng (which appears in your skincare products with this INCI name too), refers to Asian or Korean Ginseng. Commonly known as simply ‘Ginseng’, this herb is traditionally taken for its health benefits whether one is pregnant or not.
Not to be confused with Dang Shen, Ginseng is on the pricier side and comes in various grades too.
We tried out the pre-packed Premium Ginseng Performance Soup from HockHua Tonics during pregnancy, to help with my diving energy levels. However, some folks are worried and confused if Ginseng is safe to take during pregnancy and breastfeeding.
Research has shown that “Panax ginseng should be consumed with caution during pregnancy, especially during the first trimester, and during lactation.” Hence, always consult your physician or medical practitioner if you’re unsure.
This recipe was done using a slow cooker and simmered over approx. 4-5 hours before consuming.
300g meat (we used pork ribs, but black chicken can be used too)
1/2 box of herbs (we were advised that each box of herbs is good for 3-4 pax, and since I’m only cooking a single pax portion, simply divide the ingredients)
- Blanch meat, drain water and set aside.
- Rinse and put herbs into slow cooker, with a bowl of water. Adjust water volume accordingly: if you prefer a less concentrated soup, add slightly more water. Add meat into slow cooker, and set to Auto.
- Cook for approx. 4 to 6 hours, season (optional) and ready to serve.
- Supports stamina, nerves and performance
- Boost immunity and improve energy levels
- Ensure meat is fully cooked before consuming the soup or meat.
- Reduce the amount of water for a richer soup.
- Recommended to drink once to twice a week.
- Enjoy the meat with some cut chilli and soy sauce, and serve with rice and veggies for a complete meal.
- If you are unsure, always check with your doctor before consuming herbs during pregnancy.
Bowls up to better health, fellow mamas! What pregnancy tonics soups do/did you take during pregnancy?
Discover what we are up to on Facebook, Instagram, Pinterest and G+ too!