Who’d have thought a veggie pie could be yummy and healthy to boot?! Here’s an easy pie recipe that’s versatile enough, you could mix and mash it up with your preferred ingredients!
And if you were wondering what to do with those purple cabbage sitting in the fridge, now you can turn them into healthy veggie pies! I’d have loved to add more colours to them so they can truly be “colourful” – alas, my fridge wasn’t well-stocked and I had to clear these two veggies. Haha!
Note though the pastry is somewhat dry (pie-scones like) but that can be easily managed by using ingredients that are “wetter”.
Purple Cabbage Carrot Cheesy Pies
~makes 6 pieces
Fist sized portion of purple cabbage – washed, chopped and blanched
Carrots – washed, diced and blanched
2 wedges of cheese – we used Laughing Cow Cream Cheese but parmesan/cheddar/mozzarella are great too!
1 1/2 cups plain flour, sifted
1/4 tbsp. baking powder, sifted
1oz cold butter
1/4 cup milk
1.5 tbsp. oil
A pinch of salt – optional, and can include more cheese if preferred
For the pastry:
1. Place flour, baking powder and butter in a mixing bowl.
For the pies:
1. After blanching purple cabbage and carrots, set aside in a clean bowl.
2. In the same mixing bowl that contains the above mixture, add milk, egg and oil and beat.
3. The mixture will be thick and sticky. Add the veggies and stir with a spatula to combine.
4. Add cheese and mix to distribute evenly.
5. Scoop batter and pour onto pre-greased muffin pan. Fill about to brim for each cup.
6. Bake at 200°C for 20 minutes, or until the tops of the pies turn golden brown.
7. Let the pies cool before offering baby! Be cautious that the insides of the pies will be very hot; cut them up to speed up cooling before baby consumes.
– These pies can be made in advance for the week ahead. Store in the fridge for up to 5 days or kept in the freezer using air-tight containers for up to 3 months. Thaw in the fridge over night before re-heating. Ensure insides of pies are hot before consumption and cool before offering baby.
– Feel free to mix other ingredients like sausages, ham, potatoes, mushrooms etc to discover different flavours!
– Don’t forget to offer plenty of fluids for your little one while enjoying this treat!
Hope your family enjoys this simple tea break! Did you enjoy this recipe? Share with us your thoughts and follow us on Instagram and Facebook to see what else we are up to!