Over the years, we have amassed a number of instant prints that capture some of our special moments.
In fact, a significant milestone of our life can be “found” on these instant prints, and they now hang as a centrepiece on one of our walls.
Armed with Polaroid cameras, instant prints are easy – snap and print on the spot. However, that also meant we would have “wasted” a few on the NG shots (eyes closed, overexposed shots, someone wasn’t looking etc), and then it meant a reshoot!
What if we could pick our favourite photos and print them in seconds?
We had the opportunity to try our the new Fujifilm Instax Smartphone Printer SP-2, a compact instant printer that prints anywhere from your smartphone, as long as there’s WIFI!
It’s just slightly wider and thicker than an iPhone 6S, weighs 250g (without battery and film pack) and is portable enough to fit in a diaper bag (yes, because I’m a Mother!) without taking up too much space or feeling that extra weight.
And if you’re one who goes for uncomplicated, non-rocket science stuff (like me!), this is surprisingly easy to use and there’s no need to fumble with messy wires or a thick instruction manual. In fact, it’s easy enough for Vera click on “Choose photo and Print” on my mobile, and switching on the portable printer is just a button away! Just be careful not to press onto the “Reprint” button on the side of the printer if that isn’t your intention – that would trigger a reprint of your last photo!
So, how does the Fujifilm Instax Printer SP-2 work?
1. Charge and allow it to power up. It takes approximately 2 hours for a full charge the first time.
2. Load instax film into printer.
3. Download Instax Share app on Google Play / Apple Store. It’s FREE!
4. Turn on Fujifilm Instax Printer SP-2. Go to Settings on your mobile and connect to printer via WIFI.
5. Go to Instax Share app. Browse photo album on mobile and select photos you’d like and click on PRINT. This means you can edit your photos BEFORE printing! No NG shots; no wastage of instant prints too!
Thanks to its high speed printing technology, each photo is ready in a few seconds!! Just like the Instax camera!
Before printing… here’s what we can do too:
– Edit pictures by choosing templates and styles
– Create a collage of pictures via the Instax Share app to select different photos to fit in the collage template
– Create a series of numbered prints with printed tags
Find out more about the other templates here too! Creating of collages and editing are done BEFORE printing, so that helps with a beautiful print-out of your photographs.
What about filters?
Yes! And you wouldn’t need to download a separate app to adjust elements such as brightness, or getting the sepia or black and white effect.
Thanks to the brand’s deep experience (over 80 years!) in the industry, the Fujifilm Instax Printer SP-2 boasts a unique Fujifilm Intelligence Filter which hons the Image Intelligence™, an optimum processing technology. This helps offer results such as brightening up a photo in your smartphone that is too dark.
Who is this printer suitable for?
- Love taking photographs with your smartphone (Oh wait, that’s me! And most mums!)
- Those who want hassle-free wireless printing, on-the-go
- Those who want convenience without having to worry about ink cartridges and getting special photo papers.
It comes in handy for events or gatherings where each person in the photos needs a printed photo. It makes a lovely gift for friends or mums who enjoy taking photographs and curating albums of these memories for different events such as their kids’ birthdays and family travels. It prints pocket-sized pictures instantly, and there’s no need to cut or resize those photographs in your phone either.
Vera who’s 3.5 years old picked it up easily – she simply takes our instructions and presses the right buttons to get the photos printed. I’ve to say, she’s been really excited to print MORE photos since we first tried it out together. Looks like I need to get a photo album to keep these instant prints, just like the good old days :)
Are there additional costs involved?
That would pretty much be the instant print film packs which can be purchased online or at the stores. There are deals on Qoo10 if you look hard! Otherwise, simply head to any authorised Fujifilm dealers to stock up on those.
Product specifications available here.
Where to buy: All Fujifilm authorised dealers and Suntec Fujifilm studio
Do you have a portable WIFI photo printer that you use too? Do share what some of your favourite photography gadgets are!
Discover what we are up to on Facebook, Instagram, Pinterest and G+ too!